Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Decemberists on Leno "The Wanting Comes In Waves"


You have the option, so do yourself a favor and watch this shit in 1080p.
I only blog in HD.

So I purchased the new Decemberists album the day it came out last month purely out of loyalty to a band that has been one of my favorites for a while now. I hadn't heard anything from The Hazards of Love, but I had faith in Colin Meloy and his crew but I had faith. I thought I knew what I was getting into, but apparently The Decemberists decided to shift their focus from progressive folk and indie pop to a more guitar-riff driven classic rock style. Of course they still maintain their Decemberistyness, but The Hazards of Love has a little more grit then we've ever seen from them. To see what I mean, check out last week's Leno performance of "The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid". This is an abridged version of the six minute epic that appears on the album, but I think you'll get the idea. This song is easily my favorite from the album, mostly because of that lady in white with the crazy pipes! Where has she been hiding?? I haven't heard a howl like that since Sleater-Kinney broke up!!! Wait, I just looked it up. Apparently she is Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond. Fascinating. That chick can sing. Who knew? Anyway, the album is awesome. I can't stop listening to it a month later. This performance is pretty sick, you should check it out. Then go hunt down The Hazards of Love. I promise it's worth your time. I'm gonna go look up some My Brightest Diamond.

No comments: