Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lollapalooza Countdown! Top 10 Lolla Performances Part 3

You know what is and where its going. Lets get right into the action:

4. The Flaming Lips (2006)





UFOs, giant bubbles, hundreds of huge blue balloons, Santa Clause costumes, martian costumes and more confetti than I have ever seen. Throw in a wildly charismatic front man and cosmic jams and you are just starting to get the picture of what a Flaming Lips show is like. But it all boils down to one adjective: fun. The Flaming Lips put on one of the most fun shows in the world. Its bizarre, its interactive, its drug addled, and its everything a big time festival performance should be.

3. Girl Talk (2008)

Oh. My. God. If Girl Talk ever-EVER does a show with in 500 miles of you, go to there. Its a party-scratch that: its the best party you can possibly imagine. Because its all mash ups, every sample is a crowd pleaser and a sing-a-long. From start to finish, I never stopped dancing/jumping/singing. The show starts with Greg Gillis aka Girl Talk with a table, some laptops and turntables and thats it. Then as the show begins, he lets as many people from the audience as possible on stage. Then come the beach balls, confetti cannons and toilet paper guns. His 2008 performance at Lolla got so out of control that security kicked everyone off the stage. But that didn't stop him from playing ten minutes past his time limit and sailing into the crowd on an inflatable raft with a looped beat and a sample of the epic climax of Journey's "Faithfully". I'm getting chills writing this. It was that amazing. Like I said, if you ever ever ever ever have a chance to go to a Girl Talk show, please do yourself a favor and go. When you do take off your clothes, twirl your water bottles into the crowd, dance till you legs ache and sing till your lungs collapse.

2. Radiohead (2008)


So I've been talking a lot about talented musicians and the fun factor and what not, but Radiohead has something that changes the game entirely: they are the Best Band In The Universe. Sure that is a subjective title, but when discussing Radiohead, I stand by it. So its only natural that my all-time favorite band gave one of my all-time favorite Lollapalooza performances. Like I said, it doesn't heard that the band is Radiohead. Everything they do is gold, live shows included. They can write a song better than anybody and they can play a live show better than just about anybody. Their set last year was all but perfect, including a stellar blend of classics and newer In Rainbows material. I was in a strange musical trance/nirvana their entire set, hence my lack of pictures. But there is something truly special about seeing your favorite band for the first time. Even though I have been an avid Radiohead fan since my sophomore year of high school, Lollapalooza 2008 was the first time I saw them live. It was well worth the wait and experience I will never forget.

Check back tomorrow to see my #1 All Time Favorite Lollapalooza Performance!

2 DAYS TO GO PEOPLE!!!

2 comments:

Kristie R. said...

I'm guessing your #1 is either cursive or 30 seconds to mars.

also, sweet photos from sleater-kinney and flaming lips. did we not get any from broken social scene that year? whoops.

Kristie R. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.