Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lolla Week Countdown Conclusion

We are less than 24 hours away from the first performances of Lollapalooza 2009. I can hardly contain my excitement. So to wrap up this weeks festivities I give you my #1 Favorite Lollapalooza Performance.

1. Daft Punk (2007)
It may come as a surprise that Radiohead had the #2 slot on this countdown, considering my undying love of the band, but Daft Punk's 2007 headlining performance is the undisputed heavyweight champion of Lollapalooza. For those who have never experience a Daft Punk show or heard their live album, their show consists entirely of remixes of their studio material. Imagine Girl Talk, but with only Daft Punk samples. As far as I can tell, not a single note of live music was played during their entire set. And yet, they gave the festival the most energetic, epic and fun show I've seen. The set had a fitting opening, began with the alternating distorted recitation of two words: "human" and "robot". This slowly built up into a magnificent rendition "Robot Rock" and once the kick drum started kicking, it rarely let up through the bands continues stream of electro-dance-rock. Through out the entire set, build was the name of the game. Not just the music, energy and volume level but they even slowly started incorporating more elements into the lighting rig. It started with just one spot light on the 'Daft Punk Tower-O-Techno' and by the end, well, look at the pictures. For the finale the whole set went dark except for red neon outlines of the robot suits the duo was wearing. It doesn't sound like much, but it was effing sweet. They were so good live, that I immediately downloaded a bootleg of their Coachella 2006 performance and listened to it on repeat for months. That album is my #4 all time most played album on Last.fm, and its 100% because of thier Lollapalloza performance. Simply put, Daft Punk rocked my world.



So tomorrow is the big day, and being the seasoned festival vet that I am, I've got my shit together. Here is my Friday itinerary:

2:00pm - White Lies (Budweiser Stage)

3:00pm - Bon Iver (Playstation Stage)

4:oopm - Ben Folds (Budweiser Stage)

5:00pm - Fleet Foxes (Playstation Stage)

6:00pm - The Decemberists (Budweiser Stage)

7:00pm - Andrew Bird (Playstation Stage) - I might ditch this to get a better spot for KOL

8:15pm - Kings of Leon (Budweiser Stage)


Think I am making a horrible decision? Leave a comment. I can't promise to post daily recaps, because I'm usually pretty wiped out by the end of each day. I can, however, promise to Tweet the hell out of this ish.

Check www.twitter.com/andystone87 for updates and pictures.

Lollapalooza 2009. Let's do this.

1 comment:

Kristie R. said...

dude, I'm in the small minority of people who don't get fleet foxes, but I'd almost choose crystal castles over them. I feel like crystal castles would be a lot of fun at lolla. also, I like their jams.

ugh, see anyone other than the decemberists. I guess see peter bjorn and john? I dunno, I'm over their hype. But I like em better than the decemberists.

also,simian mobile disco>andrew bird at this point in life. I don't know what I mean by that, but we'll understand it one day. BUT I think getting a better spot at KOL is worth not seeing either simian or bird.