Friday, November 17, 2006

Pavement

Last Tuesday, 90's indie rock heroes, Pavement, re-released their third full length album in a two-disc format with a large number of b-sides and session outtakes. This (re)release prompted me to go on a somewhat of a Pavement binge, and now they shall be the subject of this post.

My own Pavement story begins in the backseat of a one of my friends cars. I couldn't tell you where we were driving to, but I certainly remember hearing the song Shady Lane for the first time. My friend who was driving made the hilarious "this song sure is short" joke a minute and fifteen seconds in, (listen to the song, you'll know what I mean) just before the second verse came in. I had a reputation with these friends of being a music elitist who new every indie band ever, and I could tell that I had missed something and was too shy to ask who the song was by. When I got home, I Googled the lyrics I could remember and that led me to Pavement. Our relationship has been great ever since.

Pavement's music is defined by their notoriously laid back sound and quirky songwriting. Mix that in with a bit of uniquely catchy noise pop and you've got yourself Pavement. They have a generally accessible sound, however their first album Slanted & Enchanted is decidedly rough around the edges. I would recommend either Brighten the Corners or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain for those who are just now discovering them. Additionally, the newest re-release, Wowee Zowee, is also worth the time and money. At times, their sound can be abrasive and chaotic, but if you give them a chance, you will quickly find that they are worthwhile. Tragically, Pavement has long since disbanded so don't expect new material anytime soon.

And now my gift to you is this, the Pavement Starter Kit. Fifteen Pavement songs that start with their easiest to love and then dig deeper into what makes and defines Pavement.

1. Cut Your Hair - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
2. Shady Lane - Brighten the Corners
3. Rattled by the Rush - Wowee Zowee
4. Summer Babe - Slanted & Enchanted
5. Range Life - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
6. Father To A Sister of Thought - Wowee Zowee
7. We Are Underused - Brighten the Corners
8. Elevate Me Later - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
9. Date With Ikea - Brighten The Corners
10. Gold Soundz - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
11. AT&T - Wowee Zowee
12. Stereo - Brighten the Corners
13. Stop Breathin' - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
14. Camera - Cut Your Hair b-side
15. In the Mouth of a Desert - Slanted & Enchanted

No comments: