Sunday, June 14, 2009

Dusting The Stacks #1: Sonic Youth-Rather Ripped


I've decided to introduce a new segment to MidPoints and depending on the response I get, I may make it a regular feature. I call it Dusting The Stacks and the goal is to put the spotlight on some of my favorite old records that need some attention. For the most part, great albums are continually discussed and revered, and the shitty ones are justifiably forgotten. However, I think there are plenty of albums out there that have fallen short of greatness that are still worth listening to and discussing years after their release. I mean the name, Dusting The Stacks quite literally because a few days ago I was cleaning my room and part of that involved dusting my CD collection and I stumbled upon some albums that I hadnt listened to in a while. My collection of CDs is a source of both great pride and sadness in my life. I have long since lost track of the exact number, but my current estimates have me right around 500. Unfortunately, the entire collection resides (unalphabetized!) on the floor of my room in nine knee-high stacks. Anyhow, the first album I've decided to dig up is Sonic Youth's fantastic 2006 release Rather Ripped.



As is the case with most bands of the 'noise rock' persuasion, Sonic Youth is an acquired taste. I initially found their music too abrasive and inaccessible even for me. I appreciated their classic albums like Daydream Nation and Dirty, but I never really figured out the appeal. Until the summer of 2006 when the band released Rather Ripped. Hardcore fans of the band were quick to denounce the album as a departure from the true Sonic Youth style. It wasn't that Rather Ripped was that different from their previous material, it was just that the band had changed producers and paradigms for the 2006 release. Before making the record the band apparently came to the realization that noise rock isn't very much fun for everyone who isn't in the band. They opted to make a relatively 'noise' free album and the result was an increased level of melodic, instrumental and lyrical clarity. After nearly a quarter of a century of music with noise at the forefront, Sonic Youth finally started using it as garnish; complimenting, rather than burying the core elements of the song. The end result is a beautiful and concise record from one of indie cultures most beloved acts. My favorite songs on the album are "Reena", "Do You Believe In Rapture" and "Pink Steam". Check it out, you can listen to the entire album here for FREE thanks to the good people at lala.com. I hate to sound like I'm just advertising for another website, but everyone should definitely check out lala.com. They have a huge selection of music and you can listen to every song for free one time. You can then buy the albums for online listening or mp3 at pretty cheap prices. Good way to preview albums before purchasing them.

2 comments:

Scott Daniel Boras said...

Nice. Is it all gonna be alternative iconic stuff from the 90's? ... If so, I'm so on board.

Kristie R. said...

all I want to do is kick over your dusty stacks. I've been resisting the urge for months.